Saturday, November 3, 2012

{article sharing} I hate all your show by Neil

Sharing an article written by my good friend Neil of RELENT/1am ministry

I HATE ALL YOUR SHOW 
AMOS 5:21
21 “I hate, I despise your religious festivals;
your assemblies are a stench to me.
22 Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them. Though you bring choice fellowship offerings,
I will have no regard for them. 23 Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps.
24 But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!
We just had our 1a.m.Creative Night session at church the other day where our 1a.m. director shared this verse.

Kelvin, being the director of Change Your World as well, decided to share this verse where we in “1a.m. worship and creative ministry” are encourage to view worship differently or in other words, bring the art of worship to another level.
Just reading the verse above from the book of Amos caught my attention. In fact here’s the “Message” version
21-24“I can’t stand your religious meetings.
I’m fed up with your conferences and conventions.
I want nothing to do with your religion projects,
your pretentious slogans and goals.
I’m sick of your fund-raising schemes,
your public relations and image making.
I’ve had all I can take of your noisy ego-music.
When was the last time you sang to me?
Do you know what I want?
I want justice—oceans of it.
I want fairness—rivers of it.
That’s what I want. That’s all I want.
NIV version: Caught my attention. Message version or the “IN YO’ FACE” version: KILLED ME!

You see.. the faith I walk in has helped me to be a better man, no doubt, but has it help me to help others be better men or women?
As a worshiper, I know my purpose is to worship God in the way I live… in all I do. A time where I can be refreshed, recharged, fueled up to take down what ever challenges and temptation comes my way BUT when I think about it… is it just about me coming to church and hearing a message to have a feel good weekend? Is it just about me making sure that my life is o.k and that I’m still on the course to heaven when the world ends?
When I think about Jesus and how he lived his life on earth, he didn’t just preached the good news…. he did more than that. He walked the talk.
He had his own “tour” going on with 12 volunteers, His crowd would go by the 100′s and 1000′s. Both lovers and haters would come, see and hear. But he didn’t just talk about the good news… The book of Luke said it best:
Luke 7:22
So he replied to the messengers(John the Baptist disciples), “Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.
Worshiping God whether through music or coming to church is not a bad thing… but if we don’t do something beyond that, then there must be something wrong. Sharing the good news is one thing but what happens after people hear the good news? Go to church and worship? Is that all? Join bigger events, be spiritually filled, bless the church and that’s it?
Jesus thought of the poor, he healed people, he went to where they were… took time to hear them out, loved them even when they didn’t, saved everyone when everyone didn’t even deserve to be saved. He didn’t stay in one place to talk. He walked out and made a difference by acting on what he said.
Luke 4:18-21
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
20 
Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.
He was busy fulfilling His purpose.
I have a band (Relent). I play in 1a.m. too. It makes a lot of sense for me doing what I’m doing knowing that at the end of the day I go beyond the music.
The verse in Amos convicted me to search myself and look beyond what I currently do now whether in music or serving and change the lives of others.
God is not impress with the number of shows we do or attend but wants justice to take place in our land – Oceans of it!
You don’t have to be in a band to make things happen. Just be who you are and remember the poor… reach out to them. Set the oppress and prisoners free, pray and heal those who are broken.. like LITERALLY!
Let our actions sing to the one who listens and not make noise with our mouths.
Let our actions change the lives of others in our nation and not just say words blah, blah, blah, blah, blah…
Here’s a song from Jon Foreman of Switchfoot – Instead of a show (inspired by Amos 5:21)


AUTHOR : Neil is the lead singer of local band RELENT. Apart from rocking hard with them, he is also part of 1am ministry and Change Your World movement. A fellow Manchester United fan and an avid Superman fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment